CLERMONT TOWN BOARD
December 6, 2004
The regular meeting of the Clermont Town Board was held on December 6, 2004 at 7:00 P.M. Those board members present were Supervisor Banks, Councilman Staats, Councilwoman Lent, Councilman Harned and Councilman Tousey. Others present were Amandus Fuchs, Jr., Christopher Nolan, Melissa Head, Diane O’Neal, George Davis and Robert Desmond.
Supervisor Banks opened the regular meeting. Councilman Staats made a motion; seconded by Councilman Tousey to waive the reading of the minutes, as copies were provided. All in favor. So carried.
- Supervisor Banks has corresponded with Thomas E. Kelley, NYS Audit and Control and requested an audit of the Town of Clermont’s books. The audit will probably be scheduled sometime after January of next year.
- The Emergency Preparedness Plan is in the process of being updated and copies will be provided. Also, new copies will be placed at the two Firehouses and an updated copy sent to the County Emergency Management Office.
- Code of Ethics – Board members were given a copy of the proposed code of ethics to review prior to holding a public hearing.
- The NYS Employees Retirement invoice of $17,654.00 has been paid for 2004. Due to the unexpected increase in the retirement contribution due from the Town the 2004 budget must be amended. Line item 9010.8 in the General budget is $6500, Highway $2100. Supervisor Banks would entertain a motion to increase the appropriations by $9100 and the unexpended balance by $9100. A motion was made by Councilman Staats, seconded by Councilman Harned to declare a surplus of $9100, increasing the total General Fund appropriations from $228,335 to $237,435 and the unexpended balance from $14,335 to $23,435. All in favor. So carried.
- Supervisor Banks also noted that the amount due to NYS Retirement for 2005 is $15,479 and $17,000.00 has been budgeted for 2005.
- The year-end meeting will be held on December 29 at 7:30 P.M. to pay final bills for 2004. Interviews will also be held for positions on the Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board and Board of Assessment Review.
- Received from Columbia County Treasurer – Mortgage tax for 3 rd quarter in the amount of $40,904.50.
- Received from NYS – Justice Court Grant for 2004 - $3,350.
- Received the Town Clerk’s report and check for November in the amount of $923.75. A motion was made by Councilman Staats, seconded by Councilman Harned to accept the Clerk’s report. All in favor. So carried.
- Councilwoman Lent reported that the changes have been completed on the zoning ordinance by Dan Wheeler and would like to schedule a meeting between the Town Board, Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals, John Fieser, Albert Trezza and Dan Wheeler to review prior to a public hearing being held. The workshop is scheduled for December 20, 2004 at 7:00 P.M.
- Computer Workshop – Councilman Tousey reported that the room in the Community House has been freshly painted and cleaned by the Highway department for the computer classes. Wireless DSL has
Page 2 CLERMONT TOWN BOARD December 6, 2004
been installed by Valstar, 3-4 stations for classroom purposes and the classes will begin on December 16 th with the building open from 5 PM – 7PM and classes from 5:30 to 6:30 PM. Bram Moreinis
requested additional software and support services from Lilliport – Jordan Rosen and a printer scanner at a cost of $600 and electrical work in the amount of $300. Suggested notifying Kara at Hilltop Communications to post on Channel 35 and contact Bram for information.
- The Veterans of Foreign Wars presented the Town with a flag at ceremonies held on November 7 th at the monument on the lawn. Town Clerk Mary Helen Shannon was present to accept the flag.
- Insurance – James Potts, Laurence Saulpaugh will meet with Gregory Fingar on insurance policies for the Highway and Fire Department. Supervisor Banks and Town Clerk have been working with Peter Haemmerlein of Kleeber Agency supplying information for a presentation to be made.
- Walkway to St.Lukes Church - Councilwoman Lent reported that walkway to St.Lukes Church has been started and should be finished for Christmas Party. Work is being done by Gary DeLaurentis.
- Clermont Sign – Councilwoman Lent suggested that posts would need to be installed for the new sign for the grounds in front of the Town Hall. She suggests 2 – 6x6x10 posts, pressure treated with vinyl sleeve and caps, lighting on either side. There was $5000 in the budget and the sign cost was $4200. Contact Robert Moore for electrical work. A motion was made by Councilwoman Lent, seconded by Councilman Tousey to approve the lighting, electrical work, posts with vinyl sleeves and caps, with the Highway Superintendents department putting in the posts. All in favor. So carried.
- Community House Restoration – Marilyn Kaplan of Preservation Architecture recommends accepting the bid of La Torre Construction pending review by the attorney, and contractors insurance certificates being provided. The bid was for $48,340 and includes all alternates that we requested such as sill repair, siding, north and south sunbursts, repointing foundation, outside drainage. This is a matching funds grant and any remaining money can be spent on any one building or combination of buildings with a second bid. Councilwoman Lent will meet with Ms. Kaplan and Supervisor Banks on Wednesday, December 15 th between 7:30 and 8:00 A.M. Discussion included suggestions by Diane O’Neal on using the original paint scheme.
- Chris Nolan noticed that some of the information on the Veterans plaques on the second floor of the Community House needs to be updated.
- Christmas Program - Councilman Staats reported that the Christmas Program will be held on Sunday, December 19 th at 7:00 P.M. with caroling at St. Lukes Church and refreshments served at the Community House.
- Resolution #17 – 2004 was passed with a motion made by Councilman Staats, seconded by Councilman Harned to enter into a lease agreement with The Canaan Fellowship for $300.00 per month for 2005 for the use of the Community House. All in favor. So carried. The lease will be sent to the Fellowship for signature.
- Joan Buser, Tax Collector has requested a letter and for the board to complete a resolution from Hudson River Bank so that she might change her official bank account from Fleet Bank for convenience purposes. A motion was made by Councilman Staats, seconded by Councilman Harned to approve the change in Banks for the Tax Collector. All in favor. So carried.
- The reorganizational meeting will be held on Monday, January 3, 2005 at 6:30 P.M. for the Fire District and 7:00 P.M. for the Town Board.
- There was discussion on the Steering committee for the hamlet overlay zone. No decision was reached on appointments. Diane O’Neal suggested that the town might be able to use Bard students who are majoring in this field to work on the overlay plan in order to save money. There was also discussion on the code of ethics and possible conflicts of interests in appointing to the steering committee. It was suggested that the Town might appoint a committee to discuss the hamlet area and plans for the twenty acres donated to the town.
A motion was made by Councilman Harned, seconded by Councilman Staats to approve General abstract #12, vouchers #342-372 in the amount of $5,957.62. All in favor. So Carried.
Page 3 CLERMONT TOWN BOARD December 6, 2004
A motion was made by Councilman Staats, seconded by Councilman Harned to approve Highway abstract #12, vouchers #135-151 in the amount of $5,893.49. All in favor. So carried.
A motion was made to adjourn by Councilman Staats, seconded by Councilman Harned. All in favor. So carried.
Mary Helen Shannon