CLERMONT FIRE COMMISSIONERS
JANUARY 16, 2017
The Clermont Fire Commissioners held their regular meeting following the Organizational meeting on Monday, January 16, 2017 at 7:00 P.M. Those in attendance were Chairwoman Susan Rifenburgh, Commissioner Laurence Saulpaugh, Commissioner Ronald Miller, Commissioner Ray Bauer and Commissioner Ronald Rifenburgh. Others present were Treasurer Denise Fiore, Chief Fred Gooderham, Lloyd Kukon, Evan Decker, Collin Brown, Ryan Brown, Christopher Ogden, Natasha Moyer, Robert Desmond and Tony Hill from Penflex.
Mr. Hill discussed with the Commissioners the benefits of the Defined Benefit Plan vs. the Defined Contribution plan within the Length of Service Awards Program. He also went over the cost calculations for the 2017 contribution. If the Commissioners wanted to change to the defined contribution plan it could be done to start January 1, 2018 with new members as of that date. The Commissioners would set the amount to be contributed per year per member. Also, Mr. Hill reviewed the LOSAP point’s system changes that we updated. There are still some corrections to be made regarding Training, Miscellaneous and Participation in Department Responses.
MINUTES: The minutes of the December meeting were reviewed and a motion was made by Commissioner R. Rifenburgh to approve, seconded by Commissioner Saulpaugh. All in favor. So carried.
Total amount of December 2016 Invoices Paid $ 6,041.96*
*Revised December abstract attached
Proposed January 2017 invoices $ 5,767.34
Paid January 2017 invoices $ 2,170.19
Total $ 7,937.53
Reconciliation of Accounts:
The Bank of Greene County Balances to Date
Money Market Checking Balance $104,559.70
Checking Balance $ 2,813.27
Plus Deposit of 1/12/17 $ 5,000.00
Less Outstanding checks $ 2,762.25
Checking Balance to Date $ 5,051.02
Money Market & Checking Account Total $109,610.72
Capital Reserve Fund: $ 33,660.20
Reserve Fund Balance: $ 29,718.67
A motion was made to accept the Treasurer’s Report by Commissioner R. Rifenburgh, seconded by Commissioner Bauer. All in favor. So carried.
- Certificate of Liability received from Commercial Instruments & Alarm Systems (CIA)
- Livingston Fire District – New Commissioner Adam Bartolotta.
- RBC Wealth Management – December statement for $331,671.15
- Association of Fire Districts online training for Commissioners, Treasurer and Secretary.
- Law and Management Conference – March 30 – April 2nd.
- Penflex – Received the data package for 2016.
BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS:
Commissioner Bauer reported that the outside light was fixed at Station #1.
Commissioner R. Rifenburgh met with Kleeber Insurance, will meet with Lofgren tomorrow and sent an email for price from Fingar Insurance by 2/13/17.
In speaking with the Kleeber agent, it was suggested having a contract for renting the hall and the doors should be locked for the bay area when there is a function at Station #2. Commissioner R. Rifenburgh and Commissioner Saulpaugh will bring it up at the next department meeting.
Chairwoman Rifenburgh brought up about the requirements for drivers, Fingar Insurance only wants a driver license and the others may want EVOC.
Commissioner R. Rifenburgh asked the Chief to give a list of all drivers and what vehicles they can drive on the new forms.
Barricades: These will be ordered and sent via Columbia Tractor.
Commissioner Bauer feels we should go to second tier (Defined Contribution) of the program with a specific amount of $500.00 annually if points are met in the program and have the accounts set up at our bank. This will have to go for a mandatory referendum in December. Commissioner Bauer made this motion, seconded by Commissioner Saulpaugh. All in favor. So carried.
LAWS AND POLICIES:
- Physicals: Chairwoman Rifenburgh has the new physical forms. These will be posted on the website
- Length of Service Awards Point updates will be redone and then handed out to the members.
- The Chief will hand out Workplace violence and Sexual Harassment Policies with new applications for membership.
Commissioner R. Rifenburgh will call to get the labels for the diesel tanks at Station #1.
The Treasurer will set up a new reserve account that was approved.
There were two calls for December:
- 12/11/16 AAPI – 1897 State Route 9
- 12/11/16 AAPD – 1897 State Route 9
Monthly Drill: 12/26/16 on ventilation/safe ladder practices – 14 firefighters attended.
- The Chief reported that Assistant Chief Kukon has reprogramed the radios. The County will no longer be transmitting on low band, so the Chief will have to order new radios. Pittsfield radios are $360.87 with $60 for warranty. River Valley Radio $399.00 and $60 for warranty.. Pittsfield has the best price at $420.87.
- The Chief would also like to purchase a pallet of bottled water for Station #1 from Sam’s Club for $328.00 per pallet.
- The air tests have been done and the regulator replaced in the compressor. We received a bill of $1,000.00.
- The FIT test is scheduled for February 7th at 7:00 P.M.
- Helmut flashlights: Commissioner R. Rifenburgh asked the Chief if he was going to need more for new firefighters. He thinks, as far as safety, this is important. Chief will discuss with officers.
- There was discussion of making sure that items purchased should have specific designations of what accounts the items should come from for the Treasurer.
A motion was made by Commissioner Saulpaugh to purchase three pagers from Pittsfield, two batteries for Minitor monitors, one battery for Portable and a pallet of water, seconded by Commissioner R. Rifenburgh. All in favor. So carried.
A motion was made by Commissioner R. Rifenburgh to pay the bills less the payment to Fingar Insurance for accident policy because it is not due until 3/1/17 and give two checks to the Chief for barricades and the pallet of water, seconded by Ron Miller. All in favor. So carried.
- Bob Desmond thanked the firefighters for their service. He also asked if the change in the LOSAP program if the firefighters will still be getting a benefit, but less than someone in now. It was explained that new members, starting 1/1/18, would be under the defined contribution plan, which would be a designated amount. He also said that at the last Planning Board meeting it was suggested by the attorney to notify the fire department if there will be a mass gathering so that they were aware.
A motion was made by Commissioner R. Rifenburgh to approve Commissioner Saulpaugh to go to the Commissioners training for $125.00, seconded by Commissioner Bauer. All in favor. So carried.
Commissioner R. Rifenburgh reported the fuel usage at 28.2 gallons this past month.
Commissioner R. Rifenburgh made a motion for the Chief to ask any company if they are in need of old pagers and radios and if they are let them make an offer, seconded by Commissioner Bauer. All in favor So carried.
Captain Colin Brown asked if the locks need to be replaced at Station #2 who would be responsible. Commissioner R. Rifenburgh said the company would be.
Assistant Chief Kukon said that there were two radios that weren’t receiving and have been fixed.
A motion was made to adjourn at 9:05 P.M. by Commissioner R. Rifenburgh, seconded by Commissioner Miller. All in favor. So carried.
Mary Helen Shannon
Fire District Secretary