Guidelines for Recording
a Subdivision Map
in Columbia County
Steps and procedures recommended to avoid delays and
problems when filing a subdivision
To file a subdivision map you must visit three offices: the Columbia County
Clerk; Columbia County Real Property Tax Services; and the Columbia County Treasurer.
When filing the subdivision map, you will be required to provide documentation
and to pay a filing fee.
- The County Clerk's office should be the first stop with the subdivision
map. It is necessary for that office to check the surveyor's original
signature, to make sure the Planning Board's stamped date has not
expired for recording the document, and to ensure that there are two (2)
original maps that are no larger than 34-inches by 44-inches and no smaller
than 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches.
- The next stop should be the Real Property Tax Services office. When there
are any changes made on a map, it is necessary for that department to check
over the map and attach its certification.
- The County Treasurer is required by the State of New York
to certify that all land and school taxes are paid, and that the most current
tax receipts be presented as verification to that office. The Treasurer will
then attach certification with the County Treasurer's seal attesting that
the taxes have been paid. Tax receipts must be presented to
the County Treasurer's office (photocopies will suffice). The maps presented
to the Treasurer's office must have the County Clerk's stamp affixed to the
back of each map to be recorded, along with the certification from the office
of Real Property Tax Services.
- Filing Fees: The person recording the map should be aware that both
the County Clerk and Real Property Tax Services offices require payment
of fees related to the filing of subdivision maps.
For additional information, contact: the County Clerk (518) 828-3339; Office
of Real Property Tax Services (518) 828-7334; or the County Treasurer (518)
- The County Clerk charges $10 for each subdivision map recorded.
- The Real Property Tax Services charges are based on the number of lots
in the subdivision, whether it is an original, alteration, abandonment or
- One through three lots - $25
- Four through nine lots - $50
- Ten or more lots - $100
- No fee is required if the document does not necessitate change on the
Columbia County Treasurer Kenneth H. Wilber