return home

THE CLERMONT FIRE DISTRICT

LINE OFFICERS FIRE COMMISSIONERS
Chief Laurence Saulpaugh
518-537-6811 Station #1

1st Assistant Chief Ronald Seymour
2nd Assistant Chief Bruce Potts
Captain Brandon Seymour
1st Lt. Evan Decker
2nd Lt. Robert McCarthy


Ronald Rifenburgh, Chairman, 1/1/2007 12/31/2011
Harry E. Harned, 1/1/2007 12/31/2010
Brandon Seymour, 1/1/2007 12/31/2009
Charles M. Larsen, Deputy Chairman, 1/1/2007 12/31/2008
Raymond Bauer, 1/1/2008 12/31/2012
Denise Fiore, Treasurer, Yearly Appointment
Mary Helen Shannon, Secretary, Yearly Appointment

Related Websites:

About the Company

One of the most vigorous groups in a small community is its all-volunteer firemen, and women's auxiliary. Their labors are not only essential to lives and property of the community, but they provide a setting for many enjoyable social gatherings. They brighten the celebrations of the communities with their marching in various parades. The 1976 Bi-Centennial Parade at Hudson with the firemen of Clermont in colonial dress followed by the Ladies Auxiliary in delightful colonial gowns, was a crowning example of such participation. In addition they provide a working nucleus for many community projects. A booklet such as this cannot exclude a heartfelt salute to all the men and women who have served their fellow townspeople so valiantly through the decades.

From the Dedication of the Clermont Firehouse, in August, 1961, the following information is excerpted. "As a result of a discussion between Mrs. Mary Livingston, mother of Robert R. Livingston of Cheviot, and the Supervisor of the Town of Clermont, Harold Wilson, Jr., the Clermont Fire District was established and the company organized. The first fire truck was purchased in 1928. An organizational meeting was called on June 28, 1928, by Supervisor Wilson. The first officers of the company were: Captain, Paul Poleschner; First Lieutenant, Alonzo Every; Secretary, R. Lasher; President, T.A. Gaty, Jr.; Vice President, Edmond Hamm; and Treasurer, Walter Decker. On the director's committee-Wesley Potts, Frank Finger, and Charles A. Dunker; and representative to the town board, Harold Wilson.

The first fire was at the Joseph Wagner farm at Blue Stores. In October of 1958, Bingo was started at the Community Hall. Need for protection on the west side of town led to the new firehouse on 9G at the Old Cross District Schoolhouse. Renovation was completed by 1961.

To bring history up to date: Soon after the basement in the new firehouse was completed. Within five years a well-equipped recreation room was finished. There is additional space if the upstairs hall becomes too crowded. Storage and a utility room with an outside entrance to the basement were added.

Mr. George Fonti donated land to the south of the firehouse on which a 50 x 96 foot steel pavilion was erected. It accommodates about 500 people during firemen's outdoor affairs. Later land was purchased from Mr. G. Fonti and Mr. Raymond Fonti for a parking area and highway access to 9G.

In 1967 a new firetruck arrived, a 750 gallon a minute, 3 stage pump, with a 1,000 gallon reserve tank capable of delivering high pressure fog. Later additional land was purchased from Mr. Richard Denegar in back of the main firehouse-this in anticipation of building cooking facilities in proximity to the pavilion.

The Fire Department purchased a new firetruck in 1988-1,250 gallon per minute pump.

CLERMONT FIRE COMPANY
LADIES AUXILIARY – 1988

The Ladies Auxiliary was formed in 1959. Its main purpose is to help the firemen when needed. This very active group has raised monies to help maintain and furnish the Firehouse which is located on Route 9G. The well-equipped kitchen, air conditioner, and the drapes are just a few of their contributors.
Their activities include the catering of parties, banquets, weddings, anniversaries, and dinners. The annual card party is a fund-raising affair. Refreshments at the Thursday night Bingo games are also part of the Auxiliary activities.

They are called upon to serve refreshments at fires which can be quite a chore especially in freezing weather. This group helps out financially if a family has suffered severe fire losses. It also makes donations to the various organizations in the county. Clermont is extremely fortunate in having an active Fire Company and Ladies Auxiliary.


Regular Monthly Meetings are held the third Monday of each month except for July and August.