St. Luke’s and Historic Churches
St. Luke’s – 1859
St Lukes had its beginnings in services held in the nearby Academy and other places in the first half of the 19th century. The rector of St. Paul’s Church, Henry de Koven, together with Judge William H. Wilson, Robert Dibblee, and Harold Wilson actively solicited funds with which to build a church, and by June of 1859 plans had been drawn by the noted Gothic Revival architect, Richard Upjohn. Judge Wilson gave the land for church and cemetery. The new parish was named “St. Luke’s” because it was on St. Luke’s Day (October 18) 1858 that the first subscription list was drawn up. The building was consecrated on St. Luke’s Day, 1859.
The ministers who served St. Luke’s in the early days were either the clergy of Tivoli or Red Hook. Then followed a succession of resident rectors (1856-c.1895). After that, services were held by clergy at St. Stephen’s (Bard) College, Tivoli, Red Hook, and Hudson. As time went on, the church became the responsibility of Christ Church in Hudson and later was again served by its original godfather, St. Paul’s in Tivoli.
Because of recurrent disuse, the building suffered a long period of few repairs, and its future was uncertain until a handful of public-spirited people restored it for services. There is a very small Endowment Fund, wisely administered by the Bishop of Albany, that enables us to provide minimal upkeep. All other expenses must be borne by worshippers and interested people of Clermont who now own the Church.
Later, a “parsonage” was built, but is not now part of the Church properties.
Another area church: Clarkson Chapel – 1860