CLERMONT FIRE COMMISSIONERS
SEPTEMBER 17, 2018
The Clermont Fire Commissioners held their regular meeting on Monday, September 17, 2018 at 7:00 P.M. Those present were Commissioner Susan Rifenburgh, Commissioner Raymond Bauer, Commissioner Ronald Miller and Commissioner Laurence Saulpaugh. Commissioner Ronald Rifenburgh was absent. Also present was Chief Lloyd Kukon, Captain Les Coon and Treasurer Denise Fiore.
Commissioner Susan Rifenburgh opened the meeting with the salute to the flag.
MINUTES: A motion was made to accept the minutes of the August meeting by Commissioner Saulpaugh, seconded by Commissioner Bauer. All in favor. So carried.
September 17, 2018 Fire Commissioners’ Treasurer’s Report
RE: August 2018
Total Amount of August 2018 Invoices Paid $ 3,728.54
RE: September 2018
Proposed September 2018 Invoices $ 6,968.96
Paid September 2018 Invoices $ 719.51
Total $ 7,688.47
Reconciliation of Accounts
The Bank of Greene County Balances to Date
Money Market Checking Balance $ 124,637.22*
*Includes interest paid on 8/31/18 in the amount of $26.70
Checking Balance 2,237.98
Plus Deposit (9/14/18) 2,000.00
Less Outstanding Checks 2,116.07
Checking Balance to Date 2,121.91
Money Market & Checking A/C Total $ 126,759.13
Capital Reserve Fund for Fire Equipment $ 29,709.86 (as of 12/31/17)
Interest 12/31/17 – 1/31/18 $ 1.26
Interest 1/31/18 – 2/28/18 1.14
Interest 2/28/18 – 3/31/18 1.26
Interest 3/31/18 – 4/30/18 1.22
Interest 4/30/18 – 5/31/18 1.26
Interest 5/31/18 – 6/30/18 1.22
Interest 6/30/18 – 7/31/18 1.26
Interest 7/31/18 – 8/31/18 1.26
Total $ 29,719.74
Capital Reserve Fund for Constr. & Improvement $ 33,645.61 (as of 12/31/17)
Interest 12/31/17 – 1/31/18 1.43
Interest 1/31/18 – 2/28/18 1.29
Interest 2/28/18 – 3/31/18 1.43
Interest 3/31/18 – 4/30/18 1.38
Interest 4/30 /18 – 5/31/18 1.43
Interest 5/31/18 – 6/30/18 1.38
Interest 6/30/18 – 7/31/18 1.43
Interest 7/31/18 – 8/31/18 1.43
Total $ 33,656.81
Denise Fiore, Treasurer
September 17, 2018
A motion was made to accept the Treasurer’s report by Commissioner Saulpaugh, seconded by Commissioner Bauer. All in favor. So carried.
- RBC Wealth Management Account Statement for August – $398,902.43
- Milan Fire Department – representative was unable to attend this meeting due to health issues. Will let them know that there is a two percent increase in the 2019 budget for their services and there is no need to attend next month. The Commissioners would still like to know the number of calls that were covered in our district and what they were for.
- Received a physical for Joshua Williams.
- The Treasurer received a letter from Bank of Green County notifying that the payment this year for Truck #6010 is due October 16, 2018 for $24,295.92.
BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS: Commissioners Bauer and Saulpaugh
- Commissioner Bauer did get Steve Werner to put up one outside light at Station #1.
- There was some discussion on the paving of the lot at Station #1. This can be decided during budget talks.
INSURANCE: Commissioners R. Rifenburgh and Miller
FIRE EQUIPMENT: Commissioners Bauer and Saulpaugh
- Pressure Washer: To install a ground mount in the electrical box would cost about $375.00. To replace with a new pressure washer would be $500.00. A motion was made by Commissioner Bauer, seconded by Commissioner Miller to purchase a new pressure washer. All in favor. So carried.
LOSAP: All Commissioners
LAWS AND POLICIES: All Commissioners
- Travel Policy: Commissioner Bauer has had some reservations about paying the Federal rate of reimbursement for mileage. After review a suggestion was made that on Page 1 – Transportation to remove the third paragraph and add the following: The method of travel and type of reimbursement will be determined by the Board of Fire Commissioners.
A motion was made by Commissioner Bauer, seconded by Commissioner Saulpaugh. All in favor. So carried.
LEGAL: All Commissioners
- CLEANING SERVICE: Discussed the cleaning service for Station #1 and the Bay at Station #2 and what would be a fair amount to charge for the service.
- GRANT: Captain Les Coon brought in a contract to be signed for the grant writer. Under this contract he will write a grant for the District. Under the terms of the grant the federal program pays 95% of the total amount of the grant. The District would have to pay the writer $900.00 for the service.
MOTION: A motion was made by Commissioner Saulpaugh, seconded by Commissioner Miller to sign the contract for the grant writer.
There were four calls for August:
8/16/18 – Mutual Aid Tivoli (AAPI) – 8459 Albany Post Road
8/23/18 – Unattended controlled burn – across from 2078 Route 9
8/26/18 – AAPI – Lasher Road and South Road
8/27/18 – Alarm activation – 651 County Route 6
*** 8/23/18 – Tivoli dispatched to AAPI Clermont District – Tivoli handled call/Clermont Car 2 on scene.
Monthly Drill/Work Details
- 8/5/18 – Drill/Training – Germantown – 2 firefighters attended
- 8/6/18 – Officers meeting – 5 officers attended
- 8/27/18 – Drill – Carmelite Sisters – review of grounds and resident fire plan – 11 firefighters attended.
- 8/29/18 – Drill/Mutual aid – drill with officers – Germantown/Livingston/Milan-mutual aid response to Carmelite Sisters – 4 officers attended.
- 8/31/18 – Work detail – Clean truck for Chatham Fair Parade – 2 firefighters attended.
- 9/1/18 – Chatham Fair Parade – 7 firefighters attended
The Chief talked to Tyler Case and he is interested in coming back as an active member.
A motion was made to pay bills with the addition of $900.00 for grant writer by Commissioner Bauer, seconded by Commissioner Miller. All in favor. So carried.
There was no fuel report for this month.
A motion was made to adjourn the regular meeting at 8:10 P.M. by Commissioner Miller, seconded by Commissioner Saulpaugh. All in favor. So carried.
Chairwoman Rifenburgh opened the budget workshop at 8:20 P.M.
LOSAP: Decreased the Length of Service Awards Program annual payment to $40,000.
Truck Payment: Decreased the payment amount to $23,614.00 and decreased the interest amount to $683.00.
Amount to transfer to reserve: Decreased the amount to transfer to the reserve to $7359.00.
Increased legal and audit fees to $5500.00 for Penflex audit when needed.
Increased Repairs to Building for blacktopping of parking lot by $13,000.
Increased Maintenance supplies to $2,000 for cleaning services.
Outside Fire Services:
Increased Fire Protection by Milan Volunteer Fire Dept to $2,896.
Total Contractual Expenditures: $79,021.00
Total Appropriations: $174,377.00
Less Estimated unexpended balance $ 10,000.00
Amount to be raised by taxes $164,377.00
The total budget does not exceed the allowed 2% increase of $3,419.00.
A motion was made to adjourn at 9:30 P.M.
Mary Helen Shannon,
Fire District Secretary