Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Author: Ellen Earle

St. Luke’s and Historic Churches

St. Luke’s – 1859

St Lukes had its beginnings in services held in the nearby Academy and other places in the first half of the 19th century. The rector of St. Paul’s Church, Henry de Koven, together with Judge William H. Wilson, Robert Dibblee, and Harold Wilson actively solicited funds with which to build a church, and by June of 1859 plans had been drawn by the noted Gothic Revival architect, Richard Upjohn. Judge Wilson gave the land for church and cemetery. The new parish was named “St. Luke’s” because it was on St. Luke’s Day (October 18) 1858 that the first subscription list was drawn up. The building was consecrated on St. Luke’s Day, 1859.

The ministers who served St. Luke’s in the early days were either the clergy of Tivoli or Red Hook. Then followed a succession of resident rectors (1856-c.1895). After that, services were held by clergy at St. Stephen’s (Bard) College, Tivoli, Red Hook, and Hudson. As time went on, the church became the responsibility of Christ Church in Hudson and later was again served by its original godfather, St. Paul’s in Tivoli.

Because of recurrent disuse, the building suffered a long period of few repairs, and its future was uncertain until a handful of public-spirited people restored it for services. There is a very small Endowment Fund, wisely administered by the Bishop of Albany, that enables us to provide minimal upkeep. All other expenses must be borne by worshippers and interested people of Clermont who now own the Church.

Later, a “parsonage” was built, but is not now part of the Church properties.


Another area church: Clarkson Chapel – 1860

The Academy and Historic Schools


The Academy, built 1834 (Photo courtesy LaVerne Saulpaugh via Bill Banks)

The first public school in the State of New York was established in 1791 on the edge of the road in front of the site where the Town Hall now stands. The Clermont Academy in the village was built in 1834 on land given by Edward Livingston. The south room was rented to the district for school purposes, the north room was used by the Christian Endeavor Society. The large room in the upper part was used for religious services and Sunday School.

In all there were 5 school districts in Clermont:

  • District 1 “Clermont Academy”
  • District 2 School House at Nevis this building was moved and is now the home of Mrs. Purdy.
  • District 3 School House at an intersection of roads running E. of Clermont and Nevis, this is now the home of Mary Hinkein
  • District 4 Near the “Cross” farm on a road running N to Germantown. This building is now the Clermont Fire House No. 2
  • District 5 School in the NE part of town, Tomlins live there now.

On June 16, 1944, Clermont School District No. 1 closed its season and also saw the ending of the school’s usefulness in teaching the children of Clermont, Site of NY first Public School in 1791. New York State’s 1st Public School was established in Clermont in 1791. It was located on the Village Green where the Academy now stands. The Academy open in 1834 as a high school, and is presently used for community affairs.


Now the Academy is called “The Community House”